课文原文(Bilingual Dialogue)
场景: Richard和Marilyn准备去乡村露营,Ellen帮忙照顾Max。
Richard: Hot dogs. I love hot dogs. There is nothing better than a hot dog in the country. Hot dogs and mustard. Cooked outdoors over an open fire. I wish I had one now. Richard: 热狗。我喜欢热狗。在美国没有比热狗更好的东西了。热狗和芥末。在户外的火堆上烤。我真希望现在就来一个。
Marilyn: Do you remember when Daddy and I used to take you and Susan and Robbie to Jones Beach? Marilyn: 你还记得爸爸和我常带你、Susan、Robbie去Jones海滨的事吗?
Richard: Oh, I sure do. We’d wait until dark and make a fire, and we’d cook the hot dogs. Richard: 哦,我当然记得。我们等到天黑就升火,然后烤热狗。
Marilyn: Oh, don’t forget the mustard. Marilyn: 噢,不要忘了芥末。
Richard: And, oh, does anybody want ketchup? I might as well take it along. Richard: 噢,有人要蕃茄酱吗?我还是一道带着。
Richard: And now to make sure we’ve got the hamburger patties. Richard: 再来,务必要带汉堡碎肉饼。
Marilyn: I have to remember to put them in the bag tomorrow morning before we leave. Marilyn: 我必须记得将它们放进袋里在明天早上临走之前。
Richard: I’ll remind you, Richard. Richard: 我会提醒你的,Richard。
Marilyn: Mom, we really appreciate your taking care of Max for the weekend and giving up your free time. Marilyn: 妈,我们真心感谢你在周末照顾Max,放弃你的闲暇时间。
Ellen: I love doing it. Susan and Harry have a sitter for Michelle in the city, and I’m taking care of Max. It’s no big deal. I am happy to do it for you. Ellen: 我爱这样做。Susan和Harry在城里给Michelle找到一位临时保姆,我就来照顾Max。这没有什么。我很高兴为你们做这件事。
Marilyn: I guess Max is asleep by now. He’s not crying anymore. Marilyn: 我想Max现在已经睡觉了。他不再哭了。
Ellen: Oh, poor baby. He’s teething. Ellen: 噢,可怜的小宝贝。他正在长牙齿。
Richard: Well, he’s asleep — finally. Richard: 好了,他终于睡着了。
Marilyn: I feel so bad for him. It hurts so much when a baby gets his first teeth. Marilyn: 我为他难过。小孩子长第一颗牙齿时好痛哟。
Ellen: He’ll be fine, Marilyn. Ellen: 他不会有事的,Marilyn。
Marilyn: Well, he wakes up several times during the night, and the pain is so bad. I’m really concerned about going away for the weekend, Ellen, and leaving you with the full responsibility of taking care of Max. Especially with his teething. I wish he felt better. Marilyn: 噢,他一夜醒了好几次,疼得很厉害。我这个周末出门实在放心不下,Ellen,还要把照顾Max的全部责任留给你。特别是他现在开始长牙。我真希望他现在好一点。
Ellen: Please don’t worry, Marilyn. Remember your father-in-law’s a pediatrician. We have a live-in doctor if there’s a problem I can’t handle. Ellen: 请别担心,Marilyn。记住你公公是小儿科医师。假如我遇到不能解决的问题,我们还有位驻家医生。
Richard: I agree, Marilyn. We really don’t have to be overly concerned. Richard: 我同意,Marilyn。我们真的不需要过分担心。
(出发前检查物品清单)
Marilyn: Now, to check the list of things we need for the camping trip. We need to bring a flashlight. Marilyn: 现在,让我们检查一下露营旅行所需物品的清单吧。我们需要带一个手电筒。
Richard: It’s in the right-hand drawer, next to the bottle openers. Richard: 在右边的抽屉里,就在开瓶器旁边。
Marilyn: Do we have a bottle opener on the list, Marilyn? Marilyn: 清单上有开瓶器吗,Marilyn?
Richard: No. No bottle opener. Richard: 没有,没有开瓶器。
Marilyn: Is that one of the things Susan and Harry are bringing? Marilyn: 那是不是属于Susan和Harry要带的?
Richard: No. Richard: 不是。
Marilyn: And we’re bringing the ketchup, mustard, relish — all that stuff. And cooking utensils. Marilyn: 我们还要带蕃茄酱、芥末、调味酱——诸如此类的东西。还有厨具。
Richard: Well, here’s the bottle opener, and here’s the flashlight. Richard: 哦,这是开瓶器,这是手电筒。
Marilyn: Matches. Marilyn: 火柴。
Richard: Matches? Richard: 火柴?
Marilyn: Yes, of course. For when we build our campfire. I can’t build a fire by rubbing two pieces of wood together. Marilyn: 是的,当然。用来生营火的。我总不能靠着磨擦两片木柴来取火吧。
Richard: And don’t forget your camera and film, Richard. Richard: 别忘了你的照相机和底片,Richard。
Marilyn: All packed and ready. Marilyn: 都打包好了。
Richard: And let’s not forget our cassette player and some tapes. Some music tapes and some blank tapes so that we can record our thoughts about the trip. Richard: 还别忘了带上我们的卡式录音机和一些录音带。带一些音乐带和一些空白带以便我们能录下旅行中的感想。
Marilyn: Oh, that’s a nice idea. An audio diary. Marilyn: 噢,这是个好主意。来一段录音日记。
Richard: That’s what I thought. Richard: 我就是这么想的。
(到达乡村营地)
Susan: Oh, I love it! I love it! To be away from the city on such a beautiful day is my idea of heaven! The grass. The trees. The fresh air. Susan: 哦,我太喜欢了!我太喜欢了!在这样美好的一天远离都市,正是我所谓的天堂!草地、树木、新鲜空气。
Harry: I told you you’d like it. I’ve been doing this for years. Harry: 我告诉过你你会喜欢的。我多年来一直从事这项活动。
Susan: You have the spirit of a teenager, Susan. Susan: 你有一股青少年的朝气,Susan。
Harry: Wait till you see yourself jumping around. Harry: 等着看你那到处乱蹦的样子吧。
Marilyn: That’s what I love about Susan. She works hard. She plays hard. She’s a real Stewart. Marilyn: 这就是我爱Susan的一点。工作起来拼命,玩起来也拼命。她是一个真正的Stewart家人。
Richard: Come on, Richard. Help me get this stuff out of the car. Richard: 过来,Richard。帮我将这些东西拿下车子。
Harry: Where does it go? Harry: 放在哪儿?
Richard: Well, we’ll put everything over there. We’ll set up our tents over there by the edge of the woods. Then we’ll be able to make our fire there where it’s safe. Richard: 嗯,我们将所有的东西都放在那边。我们在林边搭帐蓬。然后我们就可以在那儿找一个安全的地方生火了。
Marilyn: Oh, there’s our table and benches. All set for eating. Marilyn: 哦,那是我们的桌子和长板凳。吃饭用的一切都准备好了。
Harry: That’s what makes this spot so good. Harry: 那就是为什么这个地点这样好的道理。
Susan: Is anybody hungry? Susan: 有人饿了吗?
Harry: I am. Harry: 我饿了。
Marilyn: We just got here. Marilyn: 我们才刚刚到这儿。
Richard: When you’re out in the fresh air like this, it makes you hungry. Aren’t you hungry, Marilyn? Richard: 当你来外面呼吸这么新鲜的空气时,就很容易饿。你不饿吗,Marilyn?
Marilyn: I sure am. Marilyn: 我确实饿了。
Richard: How about you, Richard? Richard: 你呢,Richard?
Harry: Starving. Harry: 很饿。
Marilyn: You guys are like three kids. Marilyn: 你们就像三个孩子。
Susan: Aren’t you hungry, Harry? Susan: 你不饿吗,Harry?
Harry: Well, yeah. Now that you mention it, I guess I am. I mean, how could a guy not be hungry with all this talk about eating? Harry: 嗯,饿啊。你们一提起来,我想我也饿了。我的意思是,当大家都在谈吃的,谁能不饿呢?
(夜晚的宁静)
Susan: This is heaven, Harry! It was such a great idea to spend the weekend this way. Susan: 这简直是天堂,Harry!这样过周末的主意简直太棒了。
Harry: Thanks, Susan. I thought you’d all like it. Harry: 谢谢你,Susan。我料想你们都会喜欢的。
Susan: Like it? I love it! Susan: 喜欢?我爱上它了!
Harry: Listen to the sounds of the summer that surround us. It’s so calming. Harry: 仔细倾听环绕我们的夏夜声息。好宁谧。
Susan: I’ve always liked camping out. Away from the telephones and account books. It’s refreshing for me. I always go back to the city in a wonderful state of mind. Susan: 我一直喜欢露营。远离电话和帐簿。这是我提振精神的方法。我再回到城里时,精神总是十分饱满。
Harry: We’ve only been here for a day, and I’ve completely forgotten about all my business problems. The office seems so far away. Harry: 我们到这里仅仅一天,但我已经彻底抛开了我所有的业务上的问题。办公室好像变得那么遥远。
Susan: I’m glad you like it, Susan. We’ll spend many more weekends like this. And next time we’ll bring Michelle. Susan: 我很高兴你喜欢它,Susan。我们以后可以多度几次这样的周末。下次我们要带Michelle来。
Harry: I wish she were here with us to enjoy the country. Harry: 我真希望现在她就和我们在一起享受这乡村美景。
Susan: And next time we’ll bring Michelle. Susan: 下次我们带Michelle来。
Harry: Just listen to the sound. It’s so soothing. I can hardly keep my eyes open. Harry: 听听这些声音。是这样的安详。我简直睁不开眼睛了。
Marilyn: If only we could bottle the fresh air. Wouldn’t it be wonderful? We could call it “Deep Sleep Country Air.” It puts you to sleep. Marilyn: 要是我们能用瓶子将新鲜空气装回去多好。那样岂不是太美妙了吗?我们可以称它为"沉睡的乡村空气"。它让你很快入睡。
Richard: So does the sound. I’ve been having a hard time keeping my eyes open just listening to it. It’s like a special music. Richard: 这些声音也是。我一直挣扎着要让双眼睁开,听着这些声音时。它就像是一种特别的音乐。
Marilyn: Too bad we can’t bottle the sound. Marilyn: 不能将声音装瓶真是太可惜了。
Richard: But we can! Richard: 但我们能!
Marilyn: Can what? Marilyn: 能做什么?
Richard: Bottle the sound. Richard: 将声音装起来呀。
Marilyn: Oh, yeah? Marilyn: 噢,做什么?
Richard: Great idea! Let’s do it! Richard: 好主意!我们来录!
(回家后)
Ellen: Welcome home — and I do mean welcome home. Ellen: 欢迎归来。我真心欢迎你们回来。
Richard: Something wrong? Richard: 有什么不对劲吗?
Ellen: Oh, nothing’s wrong, Richard. Believe me, Max is fine. But his teeth hurt, and he just can’t get to sleep, poor dear. Neither can you. Ellen: 噢,没有什么事,Richard。相信我,Max很好。但他的牙疼,他不能入睡,可怜的小宝贝。你也不能入睡。
Marilyn: Oh, I feel so bad. Marilyn: 噢,我真抱歉。
Ellen: Oh, I’m fine. How was your weekend? Ellen: 噢,我很好。你们的周末过得怎么样?
Richard: We had a great time, Mom. It was wonderful. The weather couldn’t have been better. Richard: 我们玩得非常开心,妈。太好了。天气再好不过了。
Ellen: It was nice here, too. Did you get a chance to get outside at all? Ellen: 这儿也很好。你有时间出门吗?
Ellen: Oh, yes. Grandpa helped me yesterday afternoon. I went to the supermarket to get a few things, and I stayed out an extra half hour. The village was filled with people — the weather was so nice. Ellen: 噢,是的。昨天下午祖父帮我的忙。我去一趟超级市场,买了几样东西,我还特别多待了半个小时。镇上挤满了人,天气好的缘故。
Marilyn: Harry’s a professional camper, Mom. He knows all there is to know, and he made the weekend very easy for us to enjoy. Marilyn: Harry是露营专家,妈。他无所不知,使得我们的周末过得非常轻松愉快。
Harry: Come on. You all helped. Harry: 别这样说。你们都帮了忙。
Marilyn: You were wonderful, Harry! Marilyn: 你真是了不起,Harry!
(Max哭闹,Richard播放录音)
Richard: Let’s see if it works. Richard: 让我们看看是不是有效果。
Ellen: What’s that? Ellen: 那是什么?
Richard: A little special country music. Richard: 一点特殊的乡村音乐。
(Max停止了哭泣)
Richard: Max has stopped crying. Richard: Max不哭了。
Marilyn: Yes. It works! It works! Marilyn: 不错。有效!有效!
Ellen: What works? Ellen: 什么有效?
Richard: This. Richard: 这个。
Ellen: Oh. Oh, where did you get that? It sounds so nice. Ellen: 噢。噢,你们从哪儿弄来的?很好听。
Marilyn: I think I’m falling asleep. Marilyn: 我想我要睡着了。
Richard: Like Max did. Richard: 就像Max一样。
Marilyn: Good night. Marilyn: 晚安。
Richard: Good night. Richard: 晚安。
Ellen: Sounds of the country. The soothing sounds of the country. Ellen: 乡村音响。安详的乡村音响。
重难点分析
-
“There is nothing better than…”
- 使用比较级的否定形式表示最高级
- 相当于"Nothing is better than…"(没有什么比……更好的了)
- 类似表达:There’s nothing like…(没有什么比得上……)
-
“I might as well take it along.”
- “might as well"表示"不妨、还是……为好”
- 表示虽然没有强烈的理由,但这样做比较方便或合理
-
“It’s no big deal.”
- 非常常用的口语表达
- 表示"没什么大不了的"、“小事一桩”
-
“The weather couldn’t have been better.”
- 使用否定形式表示最高级含义
- 相当于"The weather was perfect."(天气好得不能再好了)
-
“If only we could…”
- 表示"要是……就好了",表达强烈的愿望
- 虚拟语气,与现在事实相反
核心词汇
| 英文 | 中文 | 说明 |
|---|---|---|
| hot dog | 热狗 | 美式经典户外食品 |
| mustard | 芥末 | 热狗的经典调味品 |
| ketchup | 番茄酱 | 美式常用调味酱 |
| hamburger patty | 汉堡碎肉饼 | 做汉堡用的肉饼 |
| teething | 长牙 | 婴儿长乳牙的过程 |
| pediatrician | 小儿科医生 | 专门给儿童看病的医生 |
| camping | 露营 | 户外搭帐篷过夜 |
| flashlight | 手电筒 | 露营必备用品 |
| campfire | 营火 | 露营时生的火 |
| audio diary | 录音日记 | 用录音记录的想法和感受 |
| soothing | 抚慰的,安详的 | 令人平静的声音或感觉 |
口语中的应用
-
“There’s nothing better than…”
- 表达最高级的喜爱
- 例:There’s nothing better than a cold drink on a hot day.
-
“I might as well…”
- 表示"不妨"、“还是……为好”
- 例:I might as well finish it now.
-
“It’s no big deal.”
- 安慰别人或表示事情不严重
- 例:Don’t worry about it. It’s no big deal.
-
“The weather couldn’t have been better.”
- 用否定比较级表示最高级
- 类似:I couldn’t be happier. / It couldn’t be worse.
-
“If only…”
- 表达愿望或遗憾
- 例:If only I had more time.
核心练习句型
-
“used to” 表示"过去常常做某事"
- Do you remember when Daddy and I used to take you to Jones Beach?
- 练习:我过去常常在周末钓鱼。→ I used to go fishing on weekends.
-
“would” 表示"过去经常做"(描述过去的习惯)
- We’d wait until dark and make a fire.
- 练习:我们过去常在沙滩上散步。→ We would walk on the beach.
-
“so that” 表示"以便、为了"
- So that we can record our thoughts about the trip.
- 练习:我早点来以便能和你谈谈。→ I came early so that I could talk to you.
-
“否定 + 比较级” 表示最高级
- The weather couldn’t have been better.
- 练习:我不能再高兴了。→ I couldn’t be happier.
-
“If only + 虚拟语气” 表示愿望
- If only we could bottle the fresh air.
- 练习:要是我是你就好了。→ If only I were you.