课文原文(Bilingual Dialogue)
场景: Marilyn在思考是否回去工作,还是全职照顾Max。家人给了她很多建议。
(Marilyn在哼摇篮曲)
Marilyn: “Rock-a-bye, baby, on the tree top, When the wind blows, The cradle will rock. When the bough breaks, The cradle will fall, And down will come baby, Cradle and all.” Marilyn: “摇呀摇,小宝宝,在树梢,风儿轻轻吹,摇篮跟着晃。树枝若折断,摇篮会掉落,宝宝跌下来,摇篮一道摔。”
Richard: Hi, Marilyn. What are you doing? Richard: 嗨,Marilyn。你在做什么?
Marilyn: Just sketching. Marilyn: 只是画些草图。
Richard: I’ve been thinking a lot about our responsibilities in the past few weeks. Richard: 我对于我们的职责想了很多在最近几个星期。
Marilyn: I never stop thinking about them. Marilyn: 我一直在思考这些问题,从未间断。
Marilyn: I’ve been wrestling with the question of whether I go back to work or not. Marilyn: 我一直左思右想为我是否回去工作这个问题。
Richard: I see. Richard: 这一下我明白了。
Marilyn: And I’m torn. I really want to go back to work, use my talents, and pursue my career in fashion design like we always thought I would. But now… I want to be with Max as a full-time mother, especially when he’s a baby. Marilyn: 但我不知如何取舍。我真的想回去工作,发挥我的才智,追求我在时装设计方面的事业,就像我们一向认定的那样。但是现在……我又想和Max在一起,做个全职的母亲,特别是,他还是个婴儿的时候。
Richard: I really understand, Marilyn. But you never have to worry about Max. There’s Mother and Grandpa… and I can always arrange my photo schedule around your schedule, if that will help. Richard: 我真的能理解,Marilyn。但你根本不用担心Max。有妈妈和祖父呢……而且我也能随时安排我的摄影工作配合你的时间表,假如那样有所帮助的话。
Marilyn: It’s not the same, Richard. Marilyn: 那是不一样的,Richard。
Richard: Have you discussed going back to work with your boss? Richard: 你已跟你的老板讨论过回去工作的事吗?
Marilyn: Rita Mae called yesterday. Marilyn: Rita Mae昨天打电话来了。
Richard: Ah! That’s what’s got you thinking, isn’t it? Richard: 噢!就是那通电话使你开始思量起来的,是吗?
Marilyn: She wants to know when I think I’ll be returning to the boutique. Marilyn: 她想知道我打算什么时候回去时装店工作。
Richard: And you said…? Richard: 那你怎么说的?
Marilyn: I said I’d give her an answer in a few days… that I wasn’t sure. Marilyn: 我说这几天给她回答……我说我不能确定。
Richard: I’m sure Rita Mae will understand and wait until you’re ready to go back to work. Richard: 我相信Rita Mae会理解的,而且会等你准备好了才回去工作。
Marilyn: Well, maybe she will, and maybe she won’t. Who knows? If I don’t accept her offer, maybe she’ll find someone else in the meantime, and when I’m ready to go back, there won’t be a job for me. Marilyn: 嗯,也许她会,也许她不会。谁知道?假如我不接受她这个工作机会,她也许会在这段时间找别的人。而当我准备好要回去时,已经没有空缺了。
Richard: That’s something to consider. Richard: 这是需要考虑的一点。
Marilyn: You’ve got yourself to think about, too. Marilyn: 你也得为自己着想。
Richard: But I am thinking about myself. Don’t you see? Richard: 但我就是在为自己着想呀。你不知道吗?
Marilyn: What do you mean? Marilyn: 你是什么意思?
Richard: It’s not just the job. It’s also my career as Max’s mother. That’s the way I look at it. Richard: 不只是那项工作而已。当Max的母亲也是我的事业。我就是这么看这件事的。
Marilyn: I have two career opportunities at the same time. My career as a fashion designer and my career as a mother. Marilyn: 我同时有两个事业机会。时装设计事业和担任Max母亲的事业。
Richard: I never really thought about being a mother as a career. I guess you do have two career opportunities and a decision to make. Richard: 我真的从来没有想到做母亲还是一种事业。我想你的确是有两个事业机会,而且必须做一个抉择。
(Marilyn和Ellen交谈)
Ellen: Speaking of being a mother, I’ve been meaning to ask you what you were thinking about regarding going back to work. I know Rita Mae called. I can imagine what is going through your head. Ellen: 谈到当母亲,我一直想问你是否打算回去工作。我知道Rita Mae打电话给你了。我能想像你的头脑里正在考虑什么事。
Marilyn: I’m sure you can, Ellen. There are so many things to consider. Marilyn: 你说的没错,Ellen。是有许多事情要考虑。
Ellen: One thing that makes it easier for you is that you have us. Max will always have a family member to watch over him while you’re at work. I didn’t have that when Richard and Susan were born. Ellen: 有一件事可以使你作起决定来比较容易些,就是有我们帮你。家里总会有一个人照顾Max,在你工作的时候。在Richard和Susan出生时我可没有人帮忙。
Marilyn: What did you do? Marilyn: 那你怎么办呢?
Ellen: I chose to continue with my career as a music teacher. We hired a woman to watch Richard and then Susan, and I continued with my career. Ellen: 我选择继续我的音乐教师的事业。我们雇用一名女士来照顾Richard,后来又照顾Susan,而我则继续我的事业。
Marilyn: Do you think you made the right decision? Marilyn: 你认为你的决定正确吗?
Ellen: I think I did. But when Robbie was born, I decided to give full-time attention to raising Robbie. I felt differently at that time. Ellen: 我想是的。但当Robbie出生后,我决定全力抚育他。那时我的感觉又不一样了。
Marilyn: And you gave up your career as a music teacher? Marilyn: 那么你就放弃了音乐教师的事业?
Ellen: Not exactly. I continued to teach piano lessons at home. Ellen: 不完全。我继续在家教钢琴。
Marilyn: How did you feel about being away when Susan and Richard were babies? Marilyn: 你对出外工作作何感觉,当Richard和Susan还很小时?
Ellen: I think I did the right thing for them and for myself and for Philip. We needed the money. Remember? Ellen: 我觉得我做了一件对的事为他们、为我自己和Philip。我们当时需要钱。记得吗?
Marilyn: Well, we do too, Ellen. Everything I earn helps us towards getting that house we want and need. Marilyn: 嗯,我们也需要,Ellen。我的每一笔进帐都可帮助我们得到那幢房子我们盼望而且也需要的。
(Susan来访)
Susan: I miss Max and think about him all week long. Susan: 我想念Max,一整个星期都在想他。
Ellen: We talk about him at dinnertime. Ellen: 我们吃晚餐时总谈起他。
Susan: Will you please try to relax? I’ve never seen you so wound up. Susan: 你能不能放轻松些?我从来没有看过你绷得这么紧。
Marilyn: You seem to be enjoying the pressure. Marilyn: 你看起来好像很乐于承受压力。
Susan: The truth is, I am. My job is not an easy one, but I really enjoy it. Susan: 事实上,我的确如此。我的工作并不轻松,但我确实乐在工作。
Marilyn: That is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about, Susan. Marilyn: 这正是我想要跟你谈的,Susan。
Susan: What’s the problem? Susan: 什么问题啦?
Marilyn: Marilyn’s career. Marilyn: Marilyn的事业。
Susan: Well, my choice of careers. Susan: 是的,我的事业抉择问题。
Marilyn: Choice? Marilyn: 抉择?
Susan: My career as a fashion designer versus my career as a mother. Susan: 我以时装设计为事业,或是以当个母亲为事业。
Ellen: Why does it have to be one or the other? Ellen: 为什么非得「有这个就没有那个」?
Susan: That’s what I said. Susan: 我也是这么说。
Marilyn: How’s that? Marilyn: 那怎么成呢?
Susan: Why can’t you do both? Susan: 你为什么不能两样一起做?
Ellen: She’s right. Ellen: 她说得对。
Marilyn: Both? Marilyn: 一起?
Susan: Well, that’s what I do. I have a job, and I have Michelle. I take care of both to the best of my ability. It’s not easy, but what is? Susan: 是啊,我正是这么做的。我有工作,我也有Michelle。我尽我所能把两方面都照顾好。这不容易,但什么事又容易了?
Ellen: And that’s what I did. I did both with Richard and Susan, and I did both with Robbie. Ellen: 我也这样做的。有Richard和Susan时我这样做,有Robbie时我也这样做的。
Marilyn: I thought you stayed home with Robbie? Marilyn: 我还以为你是跟Robbie待在家里的?
Ellen: I did. But I was lucky enough to have a career as a music teacher which I could continue at home. Ellen: 是的。但我很幸运,有一个音乐教师的事业可以在家中继续从事。
Susan: Why can’t you work at home, Marilyn? You’re very talented. Designing dresses is a career you could establish out of your home, couldn’t you? Susan: 你为什么不能在家中工作呢,Marilyn?你非常有才华。设计时装是一种职业你可以在家中开创,不是吗?
Marilyn: I don’t know why I didn’t think of it. It seems so simple now. Marilyn: 我不知道为什么我没有想到这一点。现在事情显得很简单了。
Marilyn: For a year or two I could stay at home with Max and do my dress designs. Marilyn: 在一两年内,我可以和Max待在家里并从事我的服装设计。
Susan: And you could make your dresses at home. Susan: 你可以在家做衣服。
Ellen: Sounds like a great way to solve the problem. Ellen: 听起来好像是个解决问题的好办法。
Susan: That could solve your problem, Marilyn. Susan: 这样可以解决你的问题,Marilyn。
Marilyn: I’m going to call Rita Mae at home and ask her to come by and talk about it. She wants to see Max, anyway. Marilyn: 我会打电话到Rita Mae家里,请她过来谈谈这件事。毕竟,她也想看Max。
(Rita Mae来访)
Rita Mae: OK, Marilyn. You sounded like you’ve made a decision when you called me. I’m all ears. Rita Mae: 好了,Marilyn,你好像已经作了决定,当你打电话给我的时候。我洗耳恭听。
Marilyn: I have made a decision, Rita Mae. I’ve decided to stay at home and be a full-time mother. Marilyn: 我已经做了决定,Rita Mae。我决定留在家里做一个专职母亲。
Rita Mae: I’m disappointed, but I respect your decision. If I had a child as cute as Max, I might do the same thing. But I haven’t finished telling you the other half of my decision. Rita Mae: 我很失望,但我尊重你的决定。假如我有一个像Max这样可爱的孩子,我也可能会做同样的决定。但我还没有对你说完我这个决定的另一半。
Marilyn: The other half? Marilyn: 另一半?
Rita Mae: Yes. I think I can stay at home and take care of Max and continue my career. Rita Mae: 是的。我觉得我可以待在家里,一面照顾孩子,同时继续我的事业。
Marilyn: Sounds interesting. Let me hear it. Marilyn: 听起来很有趣。说给我听听。
Rita Mae: Do you remember our talks about custom-designed dresses for the boutique? Why can’t I design dresses for you here at home? And make them here. Have the fittings here, too. And I could do the selling and the pricing at the boutique. Rita Mae: 你记得我们曾经谈过为时装店设计订制的服装吗?为什么我不能在家里为你设计服装呢?在这儿缝制。也在这里试穿。而我在时装店里负责销售和标价。
Marilyn: Exactly. Marilyn: 就是这样。
Rita Mae: What kind of dresses would you design? Rita Mae: 你打算设计哪种服装?
Marilyn: I’ve thought about that for some time. Marilyn: 我已经想过一阵子了。
Rita Mae: Yes? Rita Mae: 真的?
Marilyn: Wedding dresses. Marilyn: 结婚礼服。
Rita Mae: Wedding dresses? Brilliant idea! There’s a big market today in wedding dresses. Rita Mae: 结婚礼服?这个主意真棒!结婚礼服在目前有很大的市场。
Marilyn: That’s what I thought. Marilyn: 我也是这样想的。
Rita Mae: I like the idea very much. And if it’s successful, we can expand to all kinds of dresses. Rita Mae: 我很喜欢这个主意。假如成功的话,我们可以扩展到所有种类的服装。
Marilyn: That’s what I thought. Marilyn: 我也正这样想。
Rita Mae: As a matter of fact, I have a customer for your first wedding dress. My niece is getting married, and I’ve been trying to find just the right thing for her. Marilyn, you’re going to design my niece’s dress. That’ll be our first one, and then we’ll use it to sell others. Rita Mae: 事实上,我已经有了你的第一套结婚礼服的顾客。我侄女即将结婚,而我一直在为她找件合适的东西。Marilyn,你现在就开始设计我侄女的结婚礼服。这将成为我们的第一件,然后我们再利用它来销售其他的。
Marilyn: Do you really mean it? Marilyn: 你说的可是当真?
Rita Mae: I really mean it. It’s a simple idea, and it will work. You can certainly design dresses. I know that. And there’s no reason why you can’t do it from your home. Rita Mae: 当然是真的。这主意很简单,而且一定可行。你确实很能设计服装,我知道。而且也没有理由你不可以在家里做。
Marilyn: I’m so excited! I can’t wait to tell Richard! Marilyn: 我好兴奋!我简直迫不及待想告诉Richard!
Rita Mae: If I had a baby like Max, I’d want to stay home and be near him all the time, too. You’re making the right decision for Max and for yourself too, Marilyn. Rita Mae: 假如我有一个像Max这样的宝贝,我也要整天在他身边。你做了一个正确的决定为Max,也为你自己,Marilyn。
Marilyn: It all sounds so easy. Now the hard work begins. Marilyn: 一切听起来竟是如此简单。艰苦的工作现在开始了。
Rita Mae: Would you like to see some of my designs that I’ve been working on? Rita Mae: 你想不想看我正在设计的一些服装呢?
Marilyn: I’d love to. Marilyn: 我想看。
重难点分析
-
“I’ve been wrestling with the question…”
- “wrestle with"本意是"与……摔跤”,引申为"与……搏斗、苦思冥想"
- 非常形象地表达内心挣扎的状态
-
“I’m torn”
- 字面意思是"我被撕裂了",表示内心矛盾、难以抉择
- 非常地道的表达方式,比"I’m conflicted"更生动
-
“Why can’t you do both?”
- 这是本课的核心问题——为什么不能兼顾事业和家庭?
- 使用反问句表达"完全可以同时做到"的意思
-
“I’m all ears”
- 非常实用的口语表达,字面意思是"我全是耳朵"
- 表示"我洗耳恭听"、“我全神贯注地听”
-
“There’s no reason why you can’t…”
- 双重否定表示强烈肯定
- 相当于"You certainly can…"
核心词汇
| 英文 | 中文 | 说明 |
|---|---|---|
| sketch | 画草图,素描 | 设计师的初步设计 |
| wrestle | 挣扎,搏斗 | wrestle with a problem 苦思一个问题 |
| torn | 矛盾的,犹豫不决的 | 内心被撕裂的感觉 |
| pursue | 追求,从事 | pursue a career 追求事业 |
| boutique | 时装店,精品店 | 小型时装专卖店 |
| full-time | 全职的 | full-time mother 全职母亲 |
| custom-designed | 定制的,量身设计的 | 根据客户需求设计 |
| fitting | 试穿 | have the fittings 进行试穿 |
| brilliant | 极好的, brilliant idea | 绝妙的主意 |
| expand | 扩展,扩大 | expand to all kinds of dresses |
口语中的应用
-
“I’ve been wrestling with…”
- 用于表达对某个问题苦思冥想、难以决定
- 例:I’ve been wrestling with whether to accept the job offer.
-
“I’m torn.”
- 表达内心矛盾、难以取舍
- 例:I’m torn between staying and leaving.
-
“I’m all ears.”
- 非常实用的口语,表示认真倾听
- 例:Tell me your story. I’m all ears.
-
“It’s not the same.”
- 表示"情况不同"、“不一样”
- 用于反驳对方的类比或建议
-
“You’ve got yourself to think about, too.”
- 提醒对方也要为自己考虑
- 类似表达:Don’t forget about yourself.
核心练习句型
-
现在完成进行时:have/has been + doing
- I’ve been wrestling with the question.
- 练习:我一直在考虑这个问题。→ I’ve been thinking about this problem.
-
双重否定表示肯定:There’s no reason why… can’t
- There’s no reason why you can’t do it from your home.
- 练习:没有理由你不能成功。→ There’s no reason why you can’t succeed.
-
虚拟语气(与现在事实相反):If + 过去时,would + 动词原形
- If I had a child as cute as Max, I might do the same thing.
- 练习:如果我是你,我会接受。→ If I were you, I would accept it.
-
反问句:Why can’t…?
- Why can’t you do both?
- 练习:为什么我们不能试试?→ Why can’t we try?
-
表示"迫不及待":can’t wait to
- I can’t wait to tell Richard!
- 练习:我迫不及待想见到你。→ I can’t wait to see you.